Sure, they may have just announced that they’ve (unsurprisingly) lost their licence for their critically acclaimed Star Wars comics to Marvel, but that’s not all that Dark Horse publish. It is a shame that as of next year, no more Star Wars comics will come from the Horse as they have added significant layers to the SW mythos over the last twenty years, but Dark Horse are confident that their diverse line to continue to impress audiences this year. Official press release below.
DARK HORSE PROCLAIMS 2014 TO BE
THE YEAR OF THE HORSE!
Before we had even taken the time to look at the Chinese zodiac calendar, we knew 2014 was shaping up to be one of the best in Dark Horse Comics’ nearly thirty-year history!
In 2013, Dark Horse saw record sales growth in every channel and received what may have been moreaccolades than ever for its publishing line.
As we enter 2014, we go boldly into a year that, as the Chinese foretold, was destined to be ours!
We have partnered with our good friends at Comic Book Resources to bring Dark Horse fans an early look at what the year holds in every aspect of the business, from new comic series to books and products. Today we begin a four-part interview with Dark Horse president and founder Mike Richardson.
Look for a new interview each week and exclusive announcements, first looks, and more!
Before we look forward though, let’s look at the past. Dark Horse have done very well in publishing some of the best comics of 2013, as you can see below.
DARK HORSE TOPS A RECORD NUMBER
OF YEAR-END LISTS IN 2013!
In 2013, Dark Horse set records in every sense of the word. The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia topped nearly every major bestseller list and the Nielsen BookScan report! The company saw record sales in all markets, as well as at every major convention! Multiple titles sold out of first printings! New original series like Steve Niles and Dave Wachter’s Breath of Bones garnered 10 out of 10 reviews for their entire run! It didn’t stop there. Just before the new year, as critics’ year-end lists rolled in, Dark Horse found a place on nearly every one of them!
As we bid adieu to a banner year, we’d be remiss not to share one last highlight with you . .
Ladies and gentlemen, we give you the very best of 2013!
Amazon’s Best Books of 2013: The Black Beetle | MIND MGMT
Big Shiny Robot’s Best of 2013: 47 Ronin | MIND MGMT
iTunes’ iBooks Best of 2013: MIND MGMT | Bad Houses | The Creep
io9’s Best Products of Comic-Con 2013: Game of Thrones figures
IGN’s Best Products of Comic-Con 2013: Zelda figures
Bleeding Cool’s 11 Best Comics of 2013: Buzzkill | Grindhouse: Doors Open at Midnight | Hellboy in Hell
NewsOK’s 10 Best Comic Book Series of 2013: The Black Beetle
Time Magazine’s Top 10 Comics and Graphic Novels: Bad Houses
Paste Magazine’s 10 Best Comics of 2013: MIND MGMT | Bad Houses
Paste Magazine’s 13 Best Webcomics of 2013: Battlepug
ComicsAlliance’s Best Comic Books of 2013: Hellboy in Hell | The Black Beetle | MIND MGMT | Catalyst Comix | The Fifth Beatle | Star Wars line
WhatCulture’s 50 Best Comics of 2013: Bandette
io9’s The Very Very Best Comics of 2013: MIND MGMT | The Fifth Beatle
Digital Spy’s Top 10 Comics of 2013: Hellboy in Hell
Huffington Post’s 10 Best Comics of 2013: Concrete Park
Newsarama’s The Best of Best Shots 2013: Kelly Sue DeConnick (Ghost) | Matt Kindt (MIND MGMT) | Amala’s Blade
The Onion’s A.V. Club’s Best Mainstream & Superhero Comics of 2013: Dream Thief | Hellboy in Hell | MIND MGMT
Bloody Disgusting’s Best Comics of 2013: Abe Sapien | Hellboy in Hell
Bloody Disgusting’s Top Miniseries and Ongoings of 2013: The Black Beetle | Dream Thief | The Goon | The Victories
Bloody Disgusting’s Top 10 Debut Issues of 2013: Buzzkill
Bloody Disgusting’s Best Comics Miniseries of 2013: To Hell You Ride
Comic Book Resources’ Top 100 Comics of 2013 Part 1: Sabertooth Swordsman
Comic Book Resources’ Top 100 Comics of 2013 Part 2: Dream Thief | Blade of the Immortal | Hellboy: The Midnight Circus
Comic Book Resources’ Top 100 Comics of 2013 Part 3: The Black Beetle
Comic Book Resources’ Top 100 Comics of 2013 Part 4: MIND MGMT | The Fifth Beatle | Hellboy in Hell | Bad Houses
Comic Bastards’ Comic Book Round-Up: The Best Part 1:
• Best Single Issue: The Goon #44 | The Massive #17
• Best Ongoing: MIND MGMT
• Best Miniseries: Baltimore | Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin | The Black Beetle
Comic Bastards’ The Best of Part 2:
• Best OGN: Hellboy: The Midnight Circus | Last Man Standing | The Last of Us: American Dreams
• Best All-Ages Title: Itty Bitty Hellboy
Comic Bastards’ The Best of Part 3:
• Best Book of 2012 We’re Still Talking About: Conan the Barbarian
• Best Revival: Brain Boy
• Best Adaptation: The Last of Us: American Dreams | The Art of BioShock Infinite | The Star Wars
Multiversity’s 2013 in Review:
• Best Ongoing Series: Hellboy in Hell | MIND MGMT | B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth
• Readers’ Choice for Best Ongoing Series: MIND MGMT
• Best Writer: John Arcudi | Matt Kindt | Kelly Sue DeConnick
• Best Artist: J. H. Williams III
• Best Miniseries: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys | Catalyst Comix | B.P.R.D.: Vampire
• Best Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
• Best Graphic Novel: Sin Titulo | Hellboy: The Midnight Circus
• Most Overlooked Series: Catalyst Comix | MIND MGMT | Gamma
• Breakout Writer: Frank Barbiere | Joshua Williamson
• Breakout Artist: Ulises Farinas | Greg Smallwood
Uproxx’s 15 Best Comic Books of 2013: Buzzkill | Star Wars
Unwinnable’s Best Comics of 2013: The Shaolin Cowboy | Hellboy in Hell | B.P.R.D.
VICE’s Ten Best Comics of 2013: The Manara Library Volume 5
The Village Voice’s 2013’s Best Graphic Novels: Sacrifice
PopCandy’s Best of 2013: Bad Houses
USA Today’s 2013’s Best Graphic Novels and Collections: The Black Beetle Volume 1 | The Fifth Beatle
USA Today’s Best Comic Books of 2013:
• Best Cover Artist: Jenny Frison
• Most Insane Read: Grindhouse: Doors Open at Midnight
• Best Throwback: Star Wars
• Honorable Mentions:
• Rookie of the Year (Character): Buzzkill
• Best Miniseries: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys
Leave a comment
No comments yet.