Now this is a good idea DC! A hearty pat on the back from me to you. Watchmen opens next month in cinemas everywhere, but it’s really only fanboys that know, and revere, the classic 12 issue series from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Many cinema goers won’t necessarily have any idea of the film’s roots as a classic revolutionary epic. Official press release below regrading a wise incentive that will hopefully change that.
DC COMICS ANNOUNCES “AFTER WATCHMEN, WHAT’S NEXT?” PROGRAM
The excitement surrounding the upcoming WATCHMEN feature film has brought new readers to the graphic novel format. Now that they’ve read WATCHMEN, where do they go next? Help point them in the right direction with DC Comics’ “AFTER WATCHMEN, WHAT’S NEXT?” program.
DC Comics has developed a marketing campaign that spotlights several award-winning, best-selling titles from our various imprints. Each book reflects an aspect of WATCHMEN’s broad appeal — including other works by Alan Moore, science fiction tales, post-modern super hero action and sophisticated titles for mature readers — and is a great entry point for both new fans just discovering graphic novels and established readers looking to try something new.
The program is supported by an extensive marketing campaign including five promotionally-priced reprint Specials which are rush solicited below.
The marketing campaign includes:
Five “AFTER WATCHMEN, WHAT’S NEXT?” Specials featuring a cover price of just $1.00:
• SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING #21 SPECIAL EDITION
• TRANSMETROPOLITAN #1 SPECIAL EDITION
• PLANETARY #1 SPECIAL EDITION
• PREACHER #1 SPECIAL
• IDENTITY CRISIS #1 SPECIAL
Please see below for more information on these Specials.
• 32-page booklet to be given away at conventions, comics shops and book stores
• House ads in the DC Universe, Vertigo and WildStorm titles
• Editorial page promotions in Vertigo: On the Ledge, DC Nation and WildStorm Stormfront columns
• Trade ads
• E-mail Blasts
• National Consumer Online Banner Advertising Campaign
• Retailer Tools on DC Comics retailer page on diamondcomics.com
• Checklist, Header Card, Shelf Talker and Bag Slick
• Bag Stuffer for DC Retailer page for Direct Market retailers
• AFTER WATCHMEN, WHAT’S NEXT? MySpace Group
• AFTER WATCHMEN, WHAT’S NEXT? Facebook Group
• Ad pages in Convention Program Guides
• 32-page Booklet distribution at DC booth
• Bookmark distribution at DC booth
• Website at www.readwatchmen.com
• Showcase titles on the homepages of DC, WildStorm and Vertigo throughout February, March and April to capture new WATCHMEN readers
• Articles on DC, Vertigo and WildStorm homepages
• Co-op Movie Slide
• Co-op Ad Slick
DC COMICS RUSH SOLICITS FIVE “AFTER WATCHMEN, WHAT’S NEXT?” SPECIALS
Tying into the new “After Watchmen, What’s Next?” program, DC rush solicits five key titles priced at just $1.00 each!
These titles will arrive in stores weekly beginning March 11, and prominently feature the “After Watchmen, What’s Next?” branding and trade dress. Each is offered to all Diamond retailers at a special “C” discount code of 60% off.
Retailers may order these issues by contacting their Diamond Customer Service Representative or DC Sales Representative, or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The “AFTER WATCHMEN, WHAT’S NEXT?” Specials are:
SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING #21 SPECIAL EDITION (JAN098009)
Written by Alan Moore
Art by Stephen Bissette & John Totleben
Cover by Tom Yeates
On sale March 11; 32 pg, FC, $1.00 US • MATURE READERS
Final Order Cutoff date: February 19
TRANSMETROPOLITAN #1 SPECIAL EDITION (JAN098010)
Written by Warren Ellis
Art by Darick Robertson & Jerome K. Moore
Cover by Geof Darrow
On sale March 18; 32 pg, FC, $1.00 US • MATURE READERS
Final Order Cutoff date: February 26
PLANETARY #1 SPECIAL EDITION (JAN098011)
Written by Warren Ellis
Art and cover by John Cassaday
On sale March 25; 32 pg, FC, $1.00 US
Final Order Cutoff date: March 5
PREACHER #1 SPECIAL EDITION (JAN098012)
Written by Garth Ennis
Art by Steve Dillon
Cover by Glenn Fabry
On sale April 1; 48 pg, FC, $1.00 US • MATURE READERS
Final Order Cutoff date: March 12
IDENTITY CRISIS #1 SPECIAL EDITION (JAN098013)
Written by Brad Meltzer
Art by Rags Morales & Michael Bair
Cover by Michael Turner
On sale April 8; 48 pg, FC, $1.00 US
Final Order Cutoff date: March 19